Links, tools and gadgets

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Future Nobels

Now that the Nobel Prize for Literature is open to popular songwriters, who might be next up after Bob Dylan?

Paul McCartney, maybe, but I think "Ebony and Ivory" might get him an automatic disqualification. Combined with "Live and Let Die"...

I don't think John Lennon has a similarly disqualifying moment (maybe some of the Yoko songs), but being dead is a high barrier to the Nobel.

Leonard Cohen, certainly on the short list. I don't think we can hold SHREK, or the general overuse of covers of "Hallelujah" as a "this is a poignant moment" signifier in movies and tv shows, against him...

Whoever it was in Van Halen (Van Hager?) who wrote "Only time will tell if we stand the test of time", he might get my vote.

Joni Mitchell, maybe? But "Moons and Junes and Ferris wheels"? That's got to lose her some points...

Bruce Springsteen? Some good stuff, but not sure about someone Chris Christie likes that much. Guilt by association, it's a terrible thing...

Paul Simon? Sure, but only for the work with Art Garfunkel. None of that Ladysmith Black Mambazo jazz.

Mick and Keith? Do we really want to see a Nobel go to the writers of "You make a dead man come"?
...
Yes, actually, I think, yes we do...

Pete Townshend? I could see a case for that, if all his songs weren't eventually going to be CSI theme music (for CSI TORONTO, I want "Pinball Wizard")

"Bono Vox"? Do we really need something to give him an even more elevated opinion of himself? And he'd hold out for a joint Peace/Literature Prize, I'm sure. Maybe even Economics...

Well, how about Neil Peart of Rush?  Hmmm, I've got no joke for this one. I think he might be the one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weblog by BobH [bobh1970 at gmail dot com]